WADEBRIDGE could be in line for a new housing estate. Taylor Wimpey has proposals to construct 260 homes on farmland at Trevarner Farm, north of Higher Lane, Egloshayle. The development site covers 7.5 hectares and is 1.5km from the town centre. Taylor Wimpey has submitted a pre-planning application to Cornwall Council and is awaiting a response from the authority.
No doubt the usual stories will be wheeled out about housing need and and a lack of affordable housing. But lets look at the basics.
- Between 2001 and 2011 the number of dwellings in the Wadebridge and Padstow Community Network Area rose from 11,010 to 12,430 – an extra 1,420 or 13%.
- This should have been enough to cover local needs and people moving to the area.
- At the same time the number of occupied dwellings fell from 8,930 to 8,690 – or 240!
- The number of unoccupied dwellings went from 2,080 to 3,740 – a staggering 1,660
- More than doubling the number of unoccupied homes!
Let get this in perspective – without the artificial demand for second homes and holiday lets there would be sufficient housing in the area.
We are planning to build over 18.5 acres of green fields just to satisfy holiday sector!
See also It’s Our Cornwall on Facebook 10th May.